Fluence Experience - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Fluence Experience

Hi All,

I have been offered a very tempting deal on a 2nd hand 2012 Fluence ZE with only 3000km on the clock.

Although I am an EV fan, due to the low numbers out there, it is VERY hard to get enough (non-salesman-based) info to make a decision.

I have been browsing around this site and found very interesting comments re parts availability and general ownership experience.

I have a couple of questions that perhaps ye may be able to help with.
1. What is the highest mileage that you know of in a Fluence ?
(I tend to keep cars for quite a while).
2. Are there any common reliability issues encountered by owners?
3. Just how many are in the UK? Will parts become an issue?
4. Does it share any EV components with the Leaf (they are kind of sister-companies, right)?
Leafs seem to have covered quite high mileage without major issues.

Sorry for the list of questions.....but this really seems to be the only place to ask them!

Many thanks in advance,
EV Cur

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 10:16 AM

RE: Fluence Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVCurious
I have a couple of questions that perhaps ye may be able to help with.
1. What is the highest mileage that you know of in a Fluence ?
(I tend to keep cars for quite a while).
2. Are there any common reliability issues encountered by owners?
3. Just how many are in the UK? Will parts become an issue?
4. Does it share any EV components with the Leaf (they are kind of sister-companies, right)?
Leafs seem to have covered quite high mileage without major issues.
1. I know of one that's almost at 100000miles
2. Yes, the electric motor fails due to isolation fault, usually is exchanged under the 5 year warranty with no costs for the user. Also, if you are not leasing the battery and you live in hot weather be aware that battery degradation is an issue.
4. The part it shares is just the battery cell's and electronic management of the battery.

Leaf's in Arizona have battery degradation issues, same as Fluence.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Alex,
100,000....wow, that would be 10 years motoring for me!

2012 car still has approx 15 mths manufacturers warranty left...I wonder how much the electric motor would be to replace outside of that?

It comes with a battery lease deal.
I am actually in Ireland....so very hot (or cold) temps are not an issue....I believe we are in the "Goldielock zonE" for EV motoring

As I said, it is a very tempting deal....
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 04:01 PM

Hi, EVCurious,
64 registered on the road in the UK makes for a very rare car in the UK. I reckon 50% were Renault cars, dealer demos, fleet cars etc and some have come on the market with very few miles indeed. But wherher to buy?

If you can cope with a summer range of 70+ miles, more like 50 in winter, or are prepared to hunt out a working and car-free chargepoint and a 5 to 8 hour time to charge; if you can cope with no parts being available except by special order from France - thay arrive by tortoise; if you can cope with Renault, the dealer network most of which is not allowed to service the cars and, like Renault itself seems to not know how the cars work or how to make them do so......

If you like a fascinating and rewarding car experience, the joy of doing something for the environment, and are prepared for the challenge of dealing with Renault, go for it. Just remember, they are NOT user sericeable. And unlike the original Leaf running costs are not almost zero as there's the monthly battery lease to pay.

I dread to think what component and repair costs will be out of warranty so you'd better be getting it at the right price. There's a select few of us who think it's all been worthwhile.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks William,
That does sum it up nicely.... Plenty to think about.

I was really impressed with the drive, the spec and could quite comfortably live with even the winter range.

I think my pockets may not be deep enough to fund long term ownership though....i.e. after warranty runs out..... And I could be stuck with it as there would be zero market for such a rare car with no battery ownership.

A real pity....i would love the adventure. But realistically i still need this to car to reliably get me from a to b for many years.

Thanks again for the info.
Much appreciated.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Your coming at it the wrong way ! Another board member in the Irish Midlands is enjoying hers, but the price you pay is backed by the Warranty - the battery is covered regardless with its payment plan, and believe me if this were to fail, it would not be worth continuing.

That said, the pricing matrix for battery rental has halved, and with less than a year to go, my new contract term will be for the same period but half the cost, and that price has already encouraged me to renew.

Lastly, een if the car couldn't move, its rarity means wou would be sitting on a goldmine of parts in which you or another could sell off the parts that otherwise owners could not get.

I'm still struggling to find any downside!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 03:59 PM

Many of the downsides pointed are just common to every electric vehicle available on the market.
Parts availability is not worse than other brands first generation EV's.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 07:07 PM

All fair points, to which I'd just add one more. I really love the character of the Fleunce more than just about anything else I've driven - smooth, quiet, roomy, comfortable, and good looking IMHO.

Mine has been pretty reliable too, and the servicing is very cheap.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 02:57 PM

I love my fluence its just class on wheels, not fond anoth ev ride as nice its just a nice looking car. Nearly all the negative comments are the same for other Ev's it common place.

Paul

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page