Fluence in North Yorkshire - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Fluence in North Yorkshire

Rats! I wanted to be number five! You wait for a bus for months etc... I guess I'll have to be happy with making it the full half dozen.

Like Dave I waited for as long as I could and then bought the Watford silver car. Has been a bit of a nightmare actually getting it (should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday) as it had to go to London West to have an 'electric circuit board' (!) replaced. But Watford did atone by providing free delivery to North Yorks so I can't really complain.

Hey ho. Many thanks to you all for posting so much useful info over the last year - it was your advice that helped me take the plunge. Will let you know how I get on as Winter proper approaches us all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Banned

RE: Fluence in North Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Rats! I wanted to be number five! You wait for a bus for months etc... I guess I'll have to be happy with making it the full half dozen.

Like Dave I waited for as long as I could and then bought the Watford silver car. Has been a bit of a nightmare actually getting it (should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday) as it had to go to London West to have an 'electric circuit board' (!) replaced. But Watford did atone by providing free delivery to North Yorks so I can't really complain.

Hey ho. Many thanks to you all for posting so much useful info over the last year - it was your advice that helped me take the plunge. Will let you know how I get on as Winter proper approaches us all.
Oooh where abouts in NY are you? Can I ask what sort of deal you got too? Was it PCP, HP etc.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyCabbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris

Oooh where abouts in NY are you? Can I ask what sort of deal you got too? Was it PCP, HP etc.
I'm up at the very top just before you hit County Durham in a village called Newsham not far from Richmond. We are just off the A66 trans pennine route which has precious few charging points as yet. It was a cash deal at 7.7 which suited me at the time. I've done PCP in the past with more expensive machinery (principally TVRs) but decided to raid the piggy bank this time. Will use the Fluence for my commute to Middlesbrough where the University has free chargemaster points (60 mile round trip). At least that's the plan...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 03:00 AM

I think the key fact of merit is whether they are still offering PCP at these levels. They would offer PCP if they have residual values, so the presumption to hypothesise would be; no PCP offered = Renualt have given up on the idea of the car having any sort of 'residual value'?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 03:32 AM
Banned

Welcome, No.6 from No.1. At last we're seeing a glimmer of interest - or should I say folk are plucking up courage to take the plunge. If you can handle the range the cars have a lot going for them, just so long as you're not thinking of trading them in any time soon! I love exploring new cars and new technologies and have a reutation for changing cars more often than my socks, so this purchase has been a deliberate change of direction for me and follows short stints with LPG (Proton) and hybrid (Prius Mk.1 and Civic). If I ever get tired of it I suppose all that's left is steam powered (or nuclear or hydrogen......).

My first Fluence (long story if you haven't read about it) was purchased at the beginning of the year and had some winter motoring experience. As a new toy I was taking things very gently and was managing a range of 70-80 which you must assume is absolute tops for cold weather. My latest charge (last night) gave a range of 71 with "normal" motoring and some heat. None of us yet have experience of bitter , sub zero weather though it may be on the way in the coming week. But your 60 mile commute should be okay unless you like hammering it.

Warning - don't be surprised if the car's predicted range is ominously low when you get the car. We'e all (?) found that in a previous life these cars appeared to have been hammered or had their range driven low down. The prediction is calculated on recent miles so the more miles you do the more accurate it becomes!

In North Yorkshire you are also experiencing much more hilly conditions than me in boring Oxfordshire so it will be interesting to see how much that affects things. Good luck and keep us informed.

Paul
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome, Paul. Yes I was actually in negotiations to buy your old white now infamous Manchester car when I read your story on this board. That kinda put me off... I'll say one thing - they weren't shifting on its price. But pleased to hear your new blue Fluence is a much happier experience. You mention a deliberate change of direction and this is so for me also - I've never been an early adopter as such but (perhaps at odds with this commuity) a total petrol head. Like you I've lost count of the cars I've had over the years (from a BMW C1 bike/car hybrid to my much missed Tuscan S) and this seemed like something new and (risks aside) probably a one-off window to buy in.

Hills - erm yes - good point, not sure how that one will play out. Our village is at 500ft so nothing too radical but when I go over the other side to Cumbria for family visits it will be interesting to see the difference. Being able to charge for free at work was the real clincher, so I'll only ever need 30 mile range in practice. Interestingly the university has set the charge points to only deliver 2hrs at a time - may have to move the car a space or two at lunch times and replug for full benefit!

Thanks for the low early range warning - I'll look out for that. From what I gather from other threads the range indicator becomes pretty accurate after a while so I hope that is true for me. I think 71 miles at the moment is not bad at all, it's getting frosty at night round us. Anyway, cheers again for all your own postings - I am officially a lurker no more!

Chris
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 04:18 AM

I would anticipate that once you learn how the car responds to your driving styles and usage patterns, you will simply watch the battery meter than ever look at the range prediction.

I'll put up a thread to, maybe, help you.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Donald, yes am sure you're right (must keep out of the red zone!) - I'll keep an eye out for the thread - cheers, Chris

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page