fluence in south yorkshire - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

fluence in south yorkshire

Hi everyone,

Probably the newest member of the elite group of fluence ze owners !!

So far so good. Collected the car from motor point mid December 2013 and absolutely love it.

Currently in at the local Renault dealer having some recalls to brakes and air conditioning sorted...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Banned

RE: fluence in south yorkshire

Welcome to the club and hope you enjoy the new motor. Let us know how you get on with it and post some pics if youd like too
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 07:23 AM

did you get the 6k one? What a bargain!

What's the a/c recall? Hadn't heard of that one. Mine is in for service next week, and apparently has 4 hrs of recall work. I guess they're including the AC work. Like to know what it is before they fiddle with something that ain't broke!!

Unfortunately I have to pay for servicing as it was pre march '12. There again, it is only an hours labour costs so it's not too damaging on the budget.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately it wasn't 6k - although I saw that advertised a few days after I'd collected mine. The 6k car was at Stebbings car supermarket.

I paid 6500 from motorpoint for one of the January 2012 models with leather. Only 1200 miles on the clock, and absolutely immaculate so well chuffed !!

The cars in having recall work done to ;

1. Brake vacum pump;
2. Brake computer;
3. Relocating air conditioning harness.

I can't fault the car in my first few weeks of ownership, and everyone who's either driven it, or been a passenger are equally impressed.

Only frustration I've had has been with the dealer network who have been unable to give me any idea of servicing costs. I had to call Renault Head Office (extremely helpful) who also sorted out the ZE Services activation code and the battery lease.

The other one relates to charging - ignorance on my part. I had a BG chargemaster installed, and was "persuaded" to go for the 32 amp / 7kw upgrade - only to find out the Fluence can only charge at 16 amps ...

I too have to pay for servicing - think it's only for cars registered after 31/1/12 - but Renault confirm it's covered by the 4 year warranty which is a result. How much are you paying for a service ?

The pre heating is a godsend at the minute, and my 34 mile daily commute is showing an after charge range of 65 miles - hopefully will improve considerably after Winter !

To be honest, I'm not an eco warrior - but where else can I own a car that looks and drives like this for 6.5k ?? It's a second car, used for my daily commute with the wife's Zafira being our "family" car. I just tell myself the battery lease cost is the fuel cost, along with around 25 per month extra on my electricity bill direct debit.

I did LOTS of sums before buying the car, and in terms of running costs, there's nothing in it between the Fluence, and the diesel Astra it was replaced with.

Time will tell if this was a wise buy, as who knows what the cars going to be worth in 3 years time when I fancy a change ??

Probably nothing - but life's too short to worry about that ...

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelee
Only frustration I've had has been with the dealer network who have been unable to give me any idea of servicing costs.... I too have to pay for servicing - think it's only for cars registered after 31/1/12 - but Renault confirm it's covered by the 4 year warranty which is a result. How much are you paying for a service ?
They appear to be charging one hour's labour - 88.

AFAIK - The warranty is 5 years on the drivetrain and 3 on the car. If they have suggested 4 years warranty (should be 3) then why not the 4 years servicing too? I have a notice from Renault saying that all ZEs have free 4 year servicing - no date condition applies. I think the reality of this is that ours were 'pre-launch' vehicles and were not meant to be 'retail' sales until after 1st march 2012 (when the '4+' scheme applied to all Renaults).

Quote:
To be honest, I'm not an eco warrior - but where else can I own a car that looks and drives like this for 6.5k ?? It's a second car, used for my daily commute with the wife's Zafira being our "family" car. I just tell myself the battery lease cost is the fuel cost, along with around 25 per month extra on my electricity bill direct debit.
That was exactly the logic that took me to it, too. Not forgetting saving on road tax too, and that the battery lease covers breakdown. This all added up to no net difference.

[hr]
Quote:
The other one relates to charging - ignorance on my part. I had a BG chargemaster installed, and was "persuaded" to go for the 32 amp / 7kw upgrade - only to find out the Fluence can only charge at 16 amps ...
It was the right thing to do if you went for the socketed version, and might still be OK with tethered (though you may need to change the 'flying lead' depending on future cars). It 'future proofs' the unit for your next, or second, EV. The current crop of EVs will be obsolete in a few years time and the 40kWh batteries you'll be seeing will take too long for an overnight charge at 3.5kW. It's fine.

Did you get a socketed type or flying lead?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

The drive train warranty is indeed 5 years - RUK also confirmed the vehicle warranty was definitely 4 years despite it being registered on 31/1/12 (It changed to 4 years for cars registered on or after 1/2/12).

I also checked this with the dealer it's currently at who showed it me on their screen - 4+ warranty - but doesn't qualify for free servicing.

The chargemaster is a fixed lead from the wall unit to the car connector. The guy from BG did say the cable / connector could be changed if I changed the car.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
The guy from BG did say the cable / connector could be changed if I changed the car.
He's right. But on one hand you have to pay to get that lead changed, which can be most of the cost of just a 'regular' charging lead, however on the other at least this plug and lead fall under the unit's warranty. I'm sure it will work out in the end.

I'm tending to think that in several years to come, if and when I were to get another EV, home charging stations will be sufficiently cheap that you can just replace the whole thing for a minimal cost, and they'll probably come with additional functionality by then - timers, internet access, and 'stuff' ...

Interesting to hear that the car-warranty is 4 years. I did ask, but everyone was very vague on it. No-one really seemed to know. The 'connected services' has not even been resolved yet.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

I spoke to a REALLY helpful guy at Renault customer services called Joseph Jack;

Joseph Jack
Customer Relations Consultant
Renault UK
Tel : 0844 335 00 00
www.renault.co.uk

He sorted out my connected services within a day - even ringing the day after to make sure it was working OK. Fantastic level of customer service.

May be worth a call to confirm the warranty / sort out your connected services ?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM

I've now been sent the connected services 'contract' and I do not agree to the terms and conditions. They say a load of stuff about services being 'free for a trial period' with no hint of whether you are contracting yourself to after that trial period and how much.

I've already signed a contract for the battery lease, in which 'connected services' are provided, so I am not going to be signing up to further terms and conditions. Renault will have to sort this out.

So far, each of us seem to have gone through to different customer service agents. This is a bit bonkers when one could be assigned to ALL Fluence owners and still only be occupied 1% of their time by us.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Strangely, I've only received one contract - from RCI for the battery lease and no separate contract for connected services.

As you say, specific mention is made on the battery lease for connected services (for the princely sum of 0.00)

Agree with your comment regarding a dedicated CS agent. The first guy I spoke to didn't have a clue what I was talking about, but Joseph Jack certainly knows what he's talking about.

Anyway - best leave it there for tonight. The wife's scowling at me while she's cleaning the kitchen and I'm sat using the lap top with my feet up !!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page