New Fluence owner - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

New Fluence owner

Purchased a 2012 Fluence with just 400 miles on it. very pleased with the car so far, I have driven it for 300 miles.

At the moment I am only charging from the 10a lead, when I collected the vehicle the range was showing 41 miles from a full charge, I have now charged the car every day as I do between 30 - 40 miles a day the range has gone to 42 miles from a full charge. Should I be contacting Renault for a battery check or is it because I am using the 10a charge cable, any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:34 AM

RE: New Fluence owner

Congrats on adding to this rather select group!

Nothing to do with which charge lead you use. Mileage depends on your driving style and use of heater, and the range estimator depends on the previous drivers/drives. Can you give some details of an example day's drive, and start-finish SOC, then we can comment?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 10:19 AM

Welcome, Lloydsrsl, is this a Dynamique or the Expression that has been around for a while? I think we all found that what mileage the car indicates is based on how it's been driven in the previous period - so if it's been hammered and you are gentle you should see a marked improvement in indicated mileage as you go on. Your actual mileage should exceed that.

Mileage depends, as Donald says, on driving style and on time of year. I've never heard of anyone only getting in the 40's, I would expect low 60's at this time of year so long as you realise that use of the heater eats the battery! In mid summer you can expect high 70's or more, really trying hard to be gentle can achieve quite a bit more. We can advise on how to achieve this, I'm sure.

I too use the 10A cable for most of my charging. If you fill up at the quarter mark you will find the charge fits elmost exactly into a 7 hour offpeak electric session. A wall charger will knock a couple of hours off this figure but you will have no means of putting a timer into the circuit without hassle and expense.

Happy motoring. Wher abouts are you, we all seem to be well spread out across the country.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Banned

It's ok the car saying you only have 42 miles range and that you cover 40 miles, but what does the battery indicator register at the end of the day?

If you've done 40 miles, the car says 7 miles remaining but indicates half way on the battery meter, then you probably have a good 20 or 30 miles let. Maybe actual owners could confirm for sure, but I'd more likely go on the gauge than the prediction meter. It's the same with a petrol car. The car may say you have 14 miles remaining, but often you have about a gallon once the guess'o'meter gets to 0 miles remaining.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyCabbie
It's ok the car saying you only have 42 miles range and that you cover 40 miles, but what does the battery indicator register at the end of the day?
The range prediction is just that and relies on how the car's been used in recent past. The battery gauge is accurate. Okay, range from a full battery varies according to this and that, but when it says half or quarter you know that you've used that much. Leaf owners wish they had something similar as their range indicator is so poor they call it the guessometer!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Ok Guys, I bought the car on the presumption that it won't do 115 miles, so I sort of guessed that I would get 60 miles no matter how I drive it.

I do use the air-con all the time, when I accelerate I find it hard not to go in the red a little bit. when I had done 35 miles the other day it put me into a mode which limited the power I could use, and the battery indicator was permanently flashing and beeping. I am not over concerned because I charge every night, just a little disappointed I can only go 20 miles each way without worrying about grinding to a halt.......
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 03:15 PM

I'd like to help, but you're not being terribly clear. Are you saying the SOC needle (the big one on the left) dropped all the way from the top of the gauge to the bottom in just 40 miles? The battery sound starts bonging every minute or so when you enter the last of the 8 segments, and you got it all the way down to the lowest point of the bottom most segment, where it continues to bong continually?

Or are you saying you're getting warnings while the needle is still higher up on the SOC meter?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald
I'd like to help, but you're not being terribly clear. Are you saying the SOC needle (the big one on the left) dropped all the way from the top of the gauge to the bottom in just 40 miles? The battery sound starts bonging every minute or so when you enter the last of the 8 segments, and you got it all the way down to the lowest point of the bottom most segment, where it continues to bong continually?

Or are you saying you're getting warnings while the needle is still higher up on the SOC meter?
no the needle was at the bottom
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 06:45 PM

OK, well, if you are using a full charge to do 35 miles only, then I would tend to agree that you should be thinking about asking for a battery check. However, there are settings and ways to drive the car that could bring your range down to such a low level. EVs are extremely sensitive to how you drive them and, regret to say, if you insist on accelerating at over 30kW (in the red) or you have to because you have lots of very steep inclines, then, yes, that's definitely one way to use your charge quickly.

You also say you are using AC. Now, if you set the controls to 'screen only' and run a high temperature then you can run both high powered heating and the AC at the same time, which can consume over 7kW.

If you combine that amount of AC/heat with excessive power consumption in the red, then you might well be able to draw that sort of energy out of the battery.

So really we need to see if you can get better mileage first, or whether it is driving style/heating settings. The test you can do is to try to adopt a setting that others can compare with: I suggest you do a run like this: 1) Set the controls to 19C, with just the first 'half' fan blade set (that is, slowest fan speed) and the direction control set to pointing down only. This will stop you freezing, and is generally adequate for heating, but only pulls 1 to 2 kW. If you need to demist, that's fine, just run on the screen demist button for a few minutes first, but go back to the 19C slow speed setting. 2) Drive your route and do not exceed 20kW at any time (unless you have to for safety reasons).

If you drive like this and stay within 20kW at all times (set the gauge controls to give you a digital readout of instantaneous power), you should get at least 60 miles range. If you don't then I'd say you are right to be concerned about the battery.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Banned

Love to see a picture of your new ride.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page