Battery hire? - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Battery hire?

Hi everyone this is a first time post for me so be kind ;-]
So I bought a second hand Fluence and I am loving it, any way my question is am I supposed to be paying for battery rental as I am now 3 months down the line
cheers in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 05:26 PM

RE: Battery hire?

Yes. Have you escaped paying for it somehow??
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald
Yes. Have you escaped paying for it somehow??
I am not paying anything at the moment I thought if there was anything to pay Renault would have contacted me
post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

How would they (Renault) know who 'you' are? If you were not required to complete a Battery Lease agreement then you may have won a watch, as they say. Invariably the car is not released until RCI credit check you, and have your BACS details. Have you not noticed money being taken from your account ?
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby
How would they (Renault) know who 'you' are? If you were not required to complete a Battery Lease agreement then you may have won a watch, as they say. Invariably the car is not released until RCI credit check you, and have your BACS details. Have you not noticed money being taken from your account ?
Paid in cash for the car [ it was second hand ] no banks details given or cash taken but if Renault are going to catch up with me and I guess at some point they will I would be better off sorting it sooner rather than later and if the battery died Just wondered peoples opinion and may be the best way to contact renault
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:07 AM

Sounds like a 'bank error in your favour', by some margin. I though we'd had good deals!!

Was it through a Renault dealer? If you have not been contracted into accepting the vehicle with a battery lease, I can't see what contractual demand they can now make on you. Only if there was some written or oral agreement from you that you would pay a battery rental can one ever be demanded of you. If you knew there was going to be one then perhaps you should ask. If you were never given that information and demand, then there was no obligation created.
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Technically, you really have a bargain on your hands. It is the previous owners responsibility to ensure that the battery lease is transferred to the purchaser. If you were able to purchase without the 18 page battery terms, there is absolutely no need for you to do anything - indeed it is not even a liability for you to bother about - even retrospectively.

All this shows is how simple it is for a Fluence to be disengaged from its battery paperwork if the seller isn't vigilant. Indeed, as they are obliged to continue paying for the battery, RCI won't care either way!
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:43 AM
Eep

If you bought it from a dealer I'd keep quiet and possibly get an admin to delete this thread once you're satisfied what's happened. If you bought it from a private individual I'd be waiting for the paperwork once the seller realises that Renault are still sucking the money from his bank account every month.

In this case I think you'll have a hard time arguing in court that you are not obligated to pay when the battery is not actually yours. Any lawyer will tell you that hiding behind the old 'possession is nine tenths of the law' adage won't get you very far if there is documentation to the contrary. The most likely outcome once any error has been discovered is that they will seek to retrieve the unit not under the terms of the contract you never signed but by pressuring the seller on the basis they had no right to dispose of the vehicle with it. Their solicitor will then come after you, much like insurance companies work their way along to the driver at the back in a multi car pile up.

Either way, and together with the situation described in the other active thread regarding a lightly damaged but written off Fluence, leasing the battery is completely bloody crazy. Whether you think it's a good idea or not.
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep
In this case I think you'll have a hard time arguing in court that you are not obligated to pay when the battery is not actually yours.
There is, as yet, no indication that he is not the rightful owner of the battery. If he bought 'the car' and no distinction was made in any paperwork or offer that the battery is separate, then the sale included the battery as far as he has any indication of title. There is no reason to presume otherwise, unless he was told orally and knew the sale didn't include the battery.

post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 04:22 AM
Eep

Hence my opening sentence. No? But if he bought from a private individual, i.e. an existing battery contract holder, then all bets are off.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page