Connectivity > Carminat - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Connectivity > Carminat

Just been rooting around the connectivity of the Tom Tom unit.

It appears there is a GSM Data module within the unit, and has a Vodafone SIM (German) that connects to whichever network is most appropriate. - in the UK, this remains Vodafone UK as I've noticed it loses the 2.5G GPRS link at the same locations my old phone did!

Some details here:

www.itnexpo.it/it/images/stories//canesi_v2.pdf

I've not been able to discern any number (to try and send a text) but if anyone else has done the footwork - what have you found?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

RE: Connectivity > Carminat

Right - it appears there is no valid phone number attached to the SIM as it is an M2M product (Machine to Machine, in Vodafone parlance). That rules out calling it, or the sending and receiving of SMS text messages.

The SIM is pollable, which is how Renault can send you messages telling you you've just been connected to a charging point, the car can also advise Renault that the battery is full and send you a 'Not Charging' update.

Other data that might be interesting is where you were charging and the amount of KWh you took on board, but if they know, they're certainly not passing this on.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 07:01 AM
Eep

One presumes that the system could log any or all data, including trangressions involving the speed limit
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep
One presumes that the system could log any or all data, including trangressions involving the speed limit
Closer than you think!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...eed-traps.html
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Eep

I'm sure there will come a time when your insurance premium depends on what the car reports its owner has been doing re. speeding, g-forces, loss of traction, sounding the horn past 11.30pm, kerb crawling along the seedier areas of town etc.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 03:55 PM

Eep, there's a worrying thought! Almost as worrying as when I checked the state of charge of my car yesterday and found the battery charge blank and the outline bright red! And it had just been charged. I suspect there was a down in my vodafone signal and wires got crossed between car and Renault computer, but it gave me quite a turn.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The one that got me, was as I was driving out of ASDA - after a recharge - was a bright red display and the message ' BOOT OPEN! ' - oh, how I cringed!
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 PM

The best idea I ever hear was that everyone's driving record is logged continuously, with every teeny infraction logged up, and at the end of the year the worst, say, 1% of drivers get a ban, the next fines and points, the next 1% get fines. Everyone can make mistakes, the injustice is when you drive like a saint but still get a ticket, while getting 'buzzed' dangerously by lunatic drivers who are clearly highly skilled at dodging justice.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Eep

I have become notably more patient since driving the Fluence, something I'll include in a 'first impressions' write up - once I get around do posting that (before buying the car, by far and away the most useful thing to find was not some prejudiced clown at Autocar whinging about cold weather performance, lateral grip and the fact the passenger seat doesn't adjust for height but actual owners describing everyday life with the thing).
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 04:15 PM

It is most definitely a very relaxing drive. It gives me the same feeling I used to get with a convertible on a sunny day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page