Bluetooth & iPhone 5 - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Bluetooth & iPhone 5

Anyone using the above combination successfully?

I was able to pair them up no problem, stream my MP3 files to the audio system, and dial out without any problems.... But

I cannot be heard! The distant end caller hears silence - so hangs up.

Not having the funds to have another to try, is it me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Eep

RE: Bluetooth & iPhone 5

I have a test iPhone at work that I can pair with my car and see what happens. But I have never had much luck with the 5, nor my wife with her 4S, and judging by the forums on the Apple site what you describe might be a common occurrence and thus not something you're doing wrong per se.

I have to say that having worked around tech all my life, and based several businesses on it, iPhones are a bit like Dyson vacs. Mostly foam and very little beer. They are also looking implausibly expensive alongside a competition which, while admittedly inferior for many years, has now caught up.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Eep

Having trouble with the iPhone as it seems you can't use the device wirelessly unless you 'activate' it with a valid SIM (for anyone interested, there's more info on that here). Trouble is, it's locked to EE and we only have a Voda pay as you go test SIM. I've just this moment established it would cost around 125 to unlock it

You can see why we're not fans.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep
Having trouble with the iPhone as it seems you can't use the device wirelessly unless you 'activate' it with a valid SIM (for anyone interested, there's more info on that here). Trouble is, it's locked to EE and we only have a Voda pay as you go test SIM. I've just this moment established it would cost around 125 to unlock it

You can see why we're not fans.
Well to be fair - all subsidised phones are locked. I'd never go down that route as it is effectively a bribe, and you still have to pay to get it unlocked.

For 125, this wouldn't unlock it - but jailbreak it only. This would then relock with new firmware. EE only charge 20 to truly unlock it (through Apple's servers) and is an official unlock.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Eep

Sorry, I'd not made it clear. The IMEI unlock is 125, the jailbreak we could do ourselves. But jailbreaking isn't really appropriate for what we want the phone for (real world end user testing). EE are adamant they need the original owner to perform the unlock, and the original owner cannot be contacted and is under no obligation anyway.

A pal up the road has a 5S and I'll try that.

Quite agree about the notion of 18- and 24-month contract devices being a bribe, but it is the most obvious way of making the iPhone seem affordable alongside rivals that are now a fraction of the price. A top of the shop 5S is one tenth what I paid for my car, which puts it into perspective.

It's all choice though, and the fact the i3 has sold out (the small "i" being a cynical marketing ploy, I am certain) shows the appeal of lifestyle products.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 08:30 AM

Off topic a bit but I failed to pair both of my phones with a Fluence using the inbuilt bluetooth - one would, one the system wouldn't allow to try. On my current car both paired without intervention with the Parrot system but I've yet to find a way of getting the phone book across. Not to worry, I don't make calls on the move anyway but it's good that folk can reach me in an emergency.

Sorry i don't have an iphone, ipad, ipod, i3 or even an eyeful. Bring on the dancing girls![hr]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep

It's all choice though, and the fact the i3 has sold out (the small "i" being a cynical marketing ploy, I am certain) shows the appeal of lifestyle products.
To me, the i3 is the BMW equivalent of the Twizzy - a bit of a joke but fun for showing off. Unless, of course, BMW has tapped into a hitherto unknown source of monied Germanofile (is there such a word?)owners. I always wondered what they kept in their second garage.

(Ouch, sorry for offending)
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 09:44 AM
Eep

I'm not sure what makes the i3 a bit of a joke in that by all accounts it is a well rounded car. It has doors and windows for a start
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

...the price? It had me laughing when I saw the price!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Eep

Contract hire rates v. good though, and sticker price not relevant when depreciation and overall cost per mile are so competitive. Which is the sort of thing likely to get the shift in perception we need.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

PCP is fine if you don't want to aspire to ownership, and don't mind paying out money that doesn't realistically give you anything at the end of term except usage. I realise its an old fashioned concept, but the aim is to get it at a good price, avoid paying car tax and vat, and fund the rest on your terms.

Wait until the i3 is remaindered at 14k.....!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page