My new Fluence in Denmark - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

My new Fluence in Denmark

Got my Fluence ZE three weeks ago. Its second hand 1 years old, and I got it for a good price (considering car prices Denmark!). A second hand car dealer has bought all the Fluence ZE that Renault Denmark opted to give their customers choice of returning when Better Place went out of business, and they are now been sold of at quite attractive prices. They are being sold pretty quickly.
Most of them are white, and as I really wanted a metalic drak grey I had to buy it over the phone without having seen it, otherwise it would have been too late. Turned out nice though, just as promised when I bought it. The guy I was talking to said that on the sunday, it had been like feeding people that hadn't been feed for two weeks. People were almost fighting to get to buy the cars in the most sought after colours.

I'm a little confused by some of the threads on this forum concerning range. I seem to get much more range from my Fluence ZE. At a steady 90 km/h (55 miles/h) I get 150 km (90-95 miles).
Driving it home from the dealer was quite interresting though. The Better Place cars are equiped with a computer/navigator, that among other things also gives you an estimate of how much battery capacity you will have left, when you reach your destination. The distance was 145 km (90 miles) and the battery was only charged to 92% when I took over the car, so the computer told my that I would have -26% (that's MINUS 26%!) when arriving. I figured that it would go if driving very conservatively given the figures I had previously read for range. And sure enough, as the drive progressed the computer slovely but surely started to display a not quite so negative number for remaing battery at arrival. I arrived at home with the computer showing 0% remaining battery and the low battery alarm constanly beeping and flashing, but without any degredation in available power.

Driving it is a real pleasure. I love the quite and the fluent acceleration. People doesn't seem to notice that you are driving an electric car when driving along in traffic, but you sure have to look out for pedestrians when going slow on small roads. They will happily walk out right in front of the car as it is so quite.
When parked in the driveway at home and plugged in, people will approach to ask about the reality of driving an EV. Most people seem to have a very positive attitude towards EVs.

I also own a SSangyong Rexton II. That's a 2,2 tons SUV with 2,7 l turbo diesel. I havent driven it since I got the Fluence. Driving electric is simply so much more pleasent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:18 AM

RE: My new Fluence in Denmark

Welcome, Jen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensolsen
I'm a little confused by some of the threads on this forum concerning range. I seem to get much more range from my Fluence ZE. At a steady 90 km/h (55 miles/h) I get 150 km (90-95 miles).
Mileage is extremely sensitive to driving style and weather/temperature. In summer, driving a steady 90kph, as you describe, you should be looking at over 160km no problem.

I have got 195km before at a steady ~80kph on flat, yet the worst has been less than 80km from driving at 120kph in cold weather with rain on the road. Mileage is much more sensitive to these differences in an EV than in an ICE. It is just the way they are.

You benefit from being in a very flat country. That helps. (I spent a little time there myself many years ago. For those not familiar with the country, one of their highest points is called 'The Sky Mountain', which can only be put down to the Danish sense of humour when you discover it has a 147m elevation!)

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Eep

Welcome Jens.

The only factoid I know about Danes and automobiles is their punitive car tax: anything under 76,400 DKK they get hit for 105% of the value, and for anything over 76,400 DKK it's 105% of 76,400 DKK and then 180% on the rest.

76,400 DKK is round about 8K. Mad.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 01:33 PM

I do not begrudge tax revenues Governments raise, so long as they use it wisely and appropriately. Scandinavian Governments have much higher GDP tax rates, but have a much better records at spending it than us. There are pros and cons to being taxed! Give me a salary and a standard of living of an average Norwegian and I'll happily pay their tax rates.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Eep

Conversely the Americans manage to make the top five list of countries with the highest standard of living, so there is no hard and fast rule here. Certainly if you like cars then Denmark is not the place to hang out. However, they have always had an admirable stance when it comes to the environment, so I'll be interested to learn if cars like the Fluence manage to duck some of the punitive tax rates by virtue of their green credentials.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep
Conversely the Americans manage to make the top five list of countries with the highest standard of living, so there is no hard and fast rule here
I don't wish to get all political, but I'd just like to comment that I think there is something very odd with a country that claims to have high standards of living that also allows their poorest people to die due to easily remedied health issues that they cannot afford to pay for. You should go see the queues that build up the day before the free medical clinics turn up in town. Not that I think the NHS is a panacea, I think there is considerable waste, but I'd prefer to fund a bit of waste if it means avoiding leaving folks vulnerable and unaided in ill health.

...sorry, gone off topic there, but the Denmark I knew, albeit 20 years ago now, seemed to work well and I think that was partly because of the high tax rates rather that in spite of them.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 09:02 AM
Eep

Well, I must agree, but then what you've said emphases my point. The lot across the pond do have a penchant for heaving pom-poms into the air in the name of freedom, democracy, high standard of living, GDP and so on, yet each one is a questionable achievement unless you also ignore levels of poverty, infant mortality rates, healthcare, pollution, homicide rates, literacy and so on.

I guess my point is really that you can't point to higher or lower standard of anything without first understanding whereabouts you are on the ladder!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep
Conversely the Americans manage to make the top five list of countries with the highest standard of living, so there is no hard and fast rule here. Certainly if you like cars then Denmark is not the place to hang out. However, they have always had an admirable stance when it comes to the environment, so I'll be interested to learn if cars like the Fluence manage to duck some of the punitive tax rates by virtue of their green credentials.
There are no taxes what so ever on EV's in Denmark. No tax when buying the car, and annual ownership tax on EVs is zero.

There is an electrical power company that offers free electricity between 00:00 and 06:00 due to the surplus capacity of windpower during the night. Commercial charging of car batteries are free of tax on electricity, so I have arranged it so that my company officially owns the extra electricity meter at my home for the car.
These two things taken together means that cost of elecricity for the car is 0.01 Euro/km.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 11:57 AM

I've been thinking of moving to Wales (definitely NOT flat) but maybe I am looking in the wrong place for EV motoring. Enjoy your Fluence, I have had one for well over a year and really like it. Range (in miles, can't cope with this metric stuff) is 55 winter to 0ver 100 summer - in miles. A light and steady foot works wonders.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 03:30 PM

Hi Jens,

I'm also new in this forum and I'm from the Netherlands, I recognize all the things you say,
I bought the Fluence from a garage, it was a demo car, it dropped in price very much because of the foreclosure sale of Better Place and Renault that stopped building the car.
I wish the batteryswapping succeeded, that would have made the EV more popular.
I drive the car with pleasure but the charging time is far too slow !
3,7 KW only, all the public charging points are >11kw over here.

does anyone know if the Fluence can be equipped with a Zoe Chameleon charger ?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page