Fluence in Wales - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Fluence in Wales

We have a 2012 Fluence with 500 miles bought from Renault in Manchester. Our local Renault dealer managed to get it here on a truck, against a 250 deposit that was refundable if I didn't like what I saw. I did, it was spotless.

It's early, but we've charged and run it a few times, and it's very good so far. The local Classic Car club were very amused when I turned up, and very interested too.

It suits our roads better than a Zoe, and we have other cars for the long haul. We have promised ourselves that we won't try any heroic cross country trips that leave us stranded or scratching around for a charge station. But you never know.

Michael Powell
Cowbridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 06:21 PM

RE: Fluence in Wales

Very good. Welcome. Did you get the white Expression +?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 03:30 AM

Michael, if I ever make the proposed move to Wales we'll at least be in the same country. Opposite ends! Maybe a meet halfway up the A470 -I hear that's the Welsh equivalent of the M1........
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by william
Michael, if I ever make the proposed move to Wales we'll at least be in the same country. Opposite ends! Maybe a meet halfway up the A470 -I hear that's the Welsh equivalent of the M1........
Glorious run, whatever the weather. [hr]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald
Very good. Welcome. Did you get the white Expression +?
I did, at 6550, a bargain for a new car, and it's not a tiny city car, it's about the size of a Passat, but without the dullard stigma. After part-exchanging two cars the cash outlay was the equivalent of a deposit on an ordinary car.

I've been watching the prices tumble from 12000 in early 2013, but the numbers available has also dwindled. I'm an early adopter with several electric scooters but I also love a bargain.

I asked Cardiff Renault if they could get this one down from Manchester for me to try it, and after three or four weeks they managed to get it released. Seemingly Manchester Renault didn't want to let go, but the day I believe a car salesman is the day I have forgotten my medication.

I went on holiday while they figgered it out. On the trip, to Norway, we realised how far behind the curve we are in the UK with electric cars.

It's as new as can be for a two year old. It might well stay with us for many years.

Now for a Tesla S?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Eep

That's an entire TWO Expression+ on the road then!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 01:13 PM

Hello Michael, and welcome to the club!

I hope you enjoy your Fluence as much as I do and everyone else on here seems to.

As you'll see, the white Expression + at Manchester has been the subject of a certain amount of discussion on here already, most of it favourable. Really liked the way it looked in the pics.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Yes I noticed some mention of our car, but not until after buying it.

The car looks still better in the flesh than the photographs suggest. I particularly wanted those wheels and was content to forgo the folding seats and so on. It's just right in white and we have been piling on the miles.

Perhaps I should say that Mrs P has been piling on the miles, I have to book up ahead to get my turn. She loves it's silence, un fussiness and easy recharging. It's easy to park up, plug in, and then unload the boot. Very smooth motoring experience.

But I did take it to the Porsche dealership in Cardiff, where they decided to loan me a Panamera hybrid for a day's trial, perhaps knowing an early adopter is worth cherishing. It's a very heavy car, and feels it. But it's not as quiet as the Fluence because of huge wheels, but the same relaxing progress on battery alone is there, and the power is sufficient.

When the petrol engine lights up, there is little extra noise, and it comes on and off seamlessly with only the huge bank of dashboard displays to show what is happening. It's another very easy car to drive, and relaxing too, unless you are like me and have a great time pressing buttons.

I've not been a fan of hybrids, and have only previously tried the Prius, which didn't impress, but this Panamera is clearly in another dimension. It even had progressive regeneration, pressing the brake gently increases the amount of engine braking and electricity being returned to the battery without immediately appearing to apply the disc brakes. It's uncanny and works well.

But the price, at close to 100,000, is the killer, even if road tax is zero, and the miles per gallon is close to 100. That's the cost of a pair of Tesla S, so that's my next test drive.

I spoke to a Porsche owner who was in the showroom. He was a young hospital doctor with two babies. He might have been the ideal candidate for the Panamera, but almost shuddered with fear at the thought of an electric car. Most car companies will have no problem selling electric cars once they have got people to try them, but getting the unsophisticated punters to try will be an uphill task.

But it will happen. Forty years ago people were telling me I was mad to have a computer at home, now they all do. Thirty years ago people were telling me it was absurd to have a mobile phone, now they are queuing up and down the high street to buy them. Ten years ago when I got my first HP smartphone and tablet computer, people assured me they had no purpose, and would never become main stream.

Times change.

Meanwhile the Fluence has an adoring home.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Eep

The Expression+ looks better than the Dynamique, chiefly because the latter's body painted mouldings look exactly like the efforts of a lower rung mainstream manufacturer to contrive some visible differences between barely distinguishable models. And the alloy wheels are too fussy and too easily damaged.

I also much prefer the cloth interior. My car has never been a disagreeable place to sit, hot or cold, and you don't slide about round bends or have to worry about snagging the material on denim rivets or whatever. The dash plastics are also a shade lighter and contrasting in colour, which makes the interior look and feel like a substantially nicer place to sit. It was actually the lighter colours of the interior that did it for me.

I don't mind the lack of Bluetooth as the last thing I want is people phoning me. When the stereo is as mediocre as Renault's I also prefer either silence or a radio station to listening to my favourite MP3 playlists being murdered on crummy speakers. I do miss a decent length sunroof.

Still, I remain very pleased with mine. I also like the fact it costs so little to run, and flies so beneath everyone's attention radar that I feel not only inaudible but invisible alongside all the materialist Essex tat we have round here, Panameras included. No thanks, done all that to death.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

The Panamera was interesting! but in the end I bought a recycled Bentley Continental Flying Spur, at a quarter of its new price. So, just like the Fluence.

Just call me a bargain hunter.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 01:41 PM
Eep

Recycled Bentley Continental Flying Spur? Do you mean a Phaeton?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page