Changing Car? Avoid Motorpoint. - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Changing Car? Avoid Motorpoint.

I had some time to kill, and thought I'd see how good the above company were in selling the dream of EV's. The website showed 5 Chevrolet Volt's available, so I went round for a chat.

1) despite entering via my local branch website, the results were from the whole network - and not only were there no Volt's, they had no EV's in stock at all! If I paid a refundable deposit, they'd have it sent up for me to evaluate. Best price for this Vauxhall Ampera lookey-likey was £18,850. (yes, we could have had 2 Fluence's for that!)

2) asking if there was anything they recommended at a similar price and economy I was pointed to a 1L Ford Focus (petrol) at £14k which they had in stock. Being told they could take a PEx I gave them details of the Fluence. Boy this that set the CAG amongst the opinions. Their online valuation engine had a nervous breakdown, and he had to refer the quote to a senior manager, who, some 10 minutes later came back to say he had to phone they're buyers department - who advised they were not prepared to accept my 2yo vehicle as a trade in!

3) I had no plans to sell anyway, but their embarrassment was palpable. The reasonable. No idea, just that they weren't prepared to entertain the idea. I did like the idea of asking them to quote me for PExing a Volt, as I had a feeling that whilst Motorpoint would be happy to sell me one, they wouldn't part exchange one!

So, bear this in mind - even We a Buy Any Car would take my Twizy (at around £700 less than a Renault dealer would) but Motorpoint just didn't 't want to know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 12:56 PM

RE: Changing Car? Avoid Motorpoint.

Nearer to the end of my PCP, I think I'll have to go ask for a few trade-in values. That has to set the retail/resale value if they want to sell it to me, no? Or do these finance companies take cars off people and sell them for a bigger loss elsewhere just to spite the leasees who don't want to pay full-whack for the car at end-of-term?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Well, I'm assuming RCI will be doing the math (as opposed to, say, Black Horse). They at least will be fully cognisant of the value so I don't expect you to be wrung out as an early adopter (but stranger things have happened!).

A finance house will only take the car if you reject their settlement, and it should be discounted as you are saving them the costs of recovery, valeting and auction.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 02:06 PM

So if Renault actually offered £4k in part ex some months ago to ... can't remember but one of you mentioned it ... then by the end of the year it's gonna be heading towards.. £3k!? For sure, there are prices they could ask for and it'd be a no-brainer to me that I'd return it, and likewise to take it. But the 'have to take it' price is heading towards 'free' at this rate... well, at least they'd get their battery rental from me if they sold it to me for £zero, which could be more than they'd get otherwise
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I certainly wouldn't think it an impossibility...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 06:34 PM

Well that is very naughty of Motorpoint as I bought mine from them!!
So they would sell one to me but not buy it back ;-[
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 04:17 AM
Eep

Thing is, 99% of cars are an easier sale than the Fluence. If I were in charge at Motorpoint I'd make a policy to avoiding bidding on them, and I'd be surprised if independent dealers would make a trade-in offer given 99% of customers will walk on at the mention of the battery lease.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

At £7k for a car nominally worth £20k, I honestly doubt a Fluence would be a difficult sale, especially with the warranty remaining and them forgetting about the battery lease.

I wonder if they were (shock horror!) in trouble for earlier Fluence transactions and they were caught out - leaving a post it note at the sales points that no PEx Fluence's were to be considered?

It seems a most likely scenario!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 02:54 PM
Eep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby
At £7k for a car nominally worth £20k, I honestly doubt a Fluence would be a difficult sale, especially with the warranty remaining and them forgetting about the battery lease.
Well, my own car started with a sticker price of £10K and dropped over the weeks down to £6K - personally speaking, it was a bargain at any point along the way - but it still took the dealership six to seven months to shift it.

Alarm bells ring whenever battery EVs show up in the trade, but I'm hopeful that the success of other mainstream models - most notably the i3, e-Golf and a whole bevy of others such as the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - lend the sector some, well, reassurance. A lot of buyers must have seen the current crop of cars like the Fluence, Zoe and to some extent the LEAF, and thought, "Think I'll wait."
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Actually, when I saw the tin box that is the iMev, I thought I'd wait! The spec was rather sparse (akin to the Twizy but with doors send windows).

The Leaf added comfort, and the Fluence added space - I suppose it was a double edged sword for Renault, only the launch cars were RHD, and I have seen no others - so it is little wonder up adventurous drivers taking the plunge looked elsewhere!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page