New owner's questions - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

New owner's questions

We took possession of a 2012 Fluence EZ Dynamic last week, and so far are very happy with it. (We own it all, battery included.)

I have two questions that perhaps you can help me with. I've heard different opinions, so maybe I can get some consensus from some experts here.

1. Is shifting into neutral (to coast) while driving bad for the car?

I find the regenerative braking powerful, and while it's fun to watch the power meter when during regen, the regenerative braking stops the car from going down a long hill (unless I press on the accelerator). I feel it is a waste of electricity to press the accelerator in order to keep moving down hill. After all, isn't that what gravity is for? So my question is: Would shifting into neutral to get down the hill cause damage to the vehicle? (I am not asking about the legality of coasting in neutral, nor the driver-control issue. Just whether it harms the vehicle, or whether the vehicle was made to drive like that.)

2. I've read differing opinions about emptying the battery. Some say not to do it, others say that once in a while it's a good way to "refresh" the battery's capabilities. Any insights?

Thank you!

Joseph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

RE: New owner's questions

Welcome to the Forum!

How did you manage to 'own' the battery? Renault don't sell them, and can be disabled remotely if the payments are not forthcoming!

As to your questions - why would you want to 'coast'? It provides no benefit and would disengage any possibility of regeneration and claiming some of the spent energy. You are not using electricity pressing the accelerator, just cancelling or reducing the regen. To see this, switch the display to show power output and you'll see what I mean.

There's no way you can usefully flatten the battery, if totally flat, it will not charge at all. NiCads of acertain age did benefit from this stretching, but not now. Renault's advice in the manual is sound - top up when you can, there is no requirement for further conditioning.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 08:57 PM

Hi Joseph.
On your first question.
You have two options the first one is modulating the accelerator to get your desired speed while going down hill this will come naturally after a while and become muscle memory.
In this way you can drive almost entirely on the accelerator without using the brake except for heavy breaking or an emergency and coming to the final halt at a stop point.

Second option is to use the speed limiter, leave the selector switch on and when you are going down a hill and are happy with the speed you are at press the set button, this allows you to press the accelerator but when the car starts to approach the set speed it will regen automatically at the correct amount to maintain the maximum set speed.
be aware at low set speeds with both cruise control and speed limiter settings the regen will not hold on a very steep hill and you will have to press the brake to help.

On your battery I would completely ignore trying to be nice to it, except driving around with it almost flat all of the time.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much!

I managed to own the battery because I don't live in the UK or Europe, but rather the Middle East, where the car was sold outright (by the liquidators of Better Place, OBM).

Okay, I'll work on using the accelerator to cancel regen and keep my eyes on the [road and] the power usage meter. Thanks.

Joseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby
Welcome to the Forum!

How did you manage to 'own' the battery? Renault don't sell them, and can be disabled remotely if the payments are not forthcoming!

As to your questions - why would you want to 'coast'? It provides no benefit and would disengage any possibility of regeneration and claiming some of the spent energy. You are not using electricity pressing the accelerator, just cancelling or reducing the regen. To see this, switch the display to show power output and you'll see what I mean.

There's no way you can usefully flatten the battery, if totally flat, it will not charge at all. NiCads of acertain age did benefit from this stretching, but not now. Renault's advice in the manual is sound - top up when you can, there is no requirement for further conditioning.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Useful to know, as some of us here woluld welcome such freedom, however I got badly burnt with an EV where I owned the battery and now have a range of just 10Km - a replacement pack is 4,850 plus fitting.... and that's not going to happen.

So far, we are hearing good things of Renault's ongong warranty and recalls (which are ongoing) a replacement drive train is not a minor modification, and we have 5 years protection as standard. I like the idea of having a fallback to keep the vehicle roadworthy, ans I've no space for more failing junk!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph
1. Is shifting into neutral (to coast) while driving bad for the car?

I find the regenerative braking powerful, and while it's fun to watch the power meter when during regen, the regenerative braking stops the car from going down a long hill (unless I press on the accelerator). I feel it is a waste of electricity to press the accelerator in order to keep moving down hill. After all, isn't that what gravity is for? So my question is: Would shifting into neutral to get down the hill cause damage to the vehicle? (I am not asking about the legality of coasting in neutral, nor the driver-control issue. Just whether it harms the vehicle, or whether the vehicle was made to drive like that.)
Hi!
Shifting to N will not damage the car.
I understand that you would like to acelerate and then coast without regen or power but you can do just that by using the acelerator until it reads 0kW on the power display. You can drive by changing from D to N to D but when you change to D the car will regen unless you already have your foot on the accelerator.
It's best to learn to use the accelerator to coast.

Best pratice to keep the battery healthy is to avoid deep discharge and keep it allways charged above 3/4.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 06:23 AM

Exclamation ???6

Welcome To ,Gedeng Gedengni bags ni bags;Authentic Gedengni Outlet Oline Store With Real Quality & Lowest Price, An insane collection of Gedengni Bags with safe shipping and easy returns. New and vintage styles, all guaranteed authentic and majorly on sale.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page