Charging Noise - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Charging Noise

I have had the zo for two months now.
Right away I noticed the high pitched whisteling sound when the car is charging. It is continuous, always present during slow and fast-charging, and it is not the sound from the cooling sytems. It seems to come directly from the inverter itself. (Sounds like a broken laptop charger)
It appears to be present in all Zo's.
My dealer says it's normal. I do not find it normal, and most annoying. Even my neighbours have complained, asking me to charge inside instead.

I have never heard this noise in the Leaf, chevrolet Volt, or Prius plugins. It is also not present in the new Tesla Model S and BMW ensures me their i3 will not have any sound during charging except from the occasional cooling fans.

Do any of you also find this abnormal and/or annoying? I would really like Renault to try and fix this issue with all current Zo's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 03:09 PM

RE: Charging Noise

My Fluence is on charge right now and I have tried to hear any noises at all. ... none that I can hear, at all.

If I have been driving it fast and recharge straight away, the battery cooling fan will run for an hour or two, but it is a fairly quiet not-unpleasant noise that I can't hear indoors.

A high pitched whine from charging that can be heard indoors and that neighbours actually complain about is an EV not fit for its purpose, IMHO. It has to be silent during night charging, for obvious reasons.

I've heard the Zoe actually uses the motor as a transformer during charging. Is that something to do with the noise, I wonder?

Irrespective of whether it is 'normal', I'd tell the dealer it is not good enough.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 AM
Banned

Neither of my 2 Fluences have made any noise while charging. Mind you, sometimes that's because they're not charging! The Fluence is a partIicularly quiet car all round, one of its good points.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 02:48 PM
ddd

My Fluence is charging now, and is making a noise too. Sounds like abig fan in the back.
It's my second charge, I don't know if this is normal..
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Banned

Sounds like the battery cooling fan.
Had the car just been used?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 04:27 PM
ddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauledg
Sounds like the battery cooling fan.
Had the car just been used?
Last used was about 6 hours ago. It's still making that noise.
I unplugged the power cord, and the noise stopped. Plugged it back in, and it started again.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 06:05 PM

Cooling fan.. it will stop later in the charge...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 06:03 PM

I have witness tested Zoe during 3.6kW - 7kW and 22kW charging and the internal inverter in the car produces harmonic audible whistling at the same audible level irrespective of the charge rate. It is perfectly normal in all cases. It's not a fault, just something you'll have to live with.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk
I have witness tested Zoe during 3.6kW - 7kW and 22kW charging and the internal inverter in the car produces harmonic audible whistling at the same audible level irrespective of the charge rate. It is perfectly normal in all cases. It's not a fault, just something you'll have to live with.
Normal? Really? Oh dear. Count me out on that one. I'm happy with the silent Fluence charger, shame no fast charge option.

I have been monitoring wall-electricity used versus gauge M/kWh and the 'quiet' Fluence charger seems to charge very efficiently at 3.5kW. I wonder how efficient this Chameleon charger is - I guess if it can work at lots of different charge rates then the design might be a compromise of efficiency for each charge rate, not necessarily the most efficient at any one of them.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 03:57 PM

I've only had my Zoe since Monday - but it makes no noise when charging - so far! I'd contact your dealer.
Marcus

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page