Zoe's on similar price trajectory as Fluence - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Zoe's on similar price trajectory as Fluence

9,000 for a 1 yr old Zoe? It took 18 months before Fluence got to 9,000. I guess Fluence started out a little higher in price (in theory - how many were sold 'new'?) so that covers that, but I'll take a guess low mileage demo Zoe's will also be around the 6 mark by year 2.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01406044743099
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

RE: Zoe's on similar price trajectory as Fluence

Leafs are doing the same, so it doesn't appear to be battery lease related!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

I'm not entirely sure that's true, actually. If you look at how the prices of MiEV/Ion/Czero have gone, they have remained incredibly stubborn despite now being over 3 years old. Leafs are now 3 years old and you see very few below 10k. Why none at 6k if they are on the same depreciation trajectory?

The reason I think this is is because ultimately a buyer is likely to do a calculation involving how long they imagine keeping the car, and how much fuel they will spend otherwise if they have an ICE. I could imagine keeping a car for 5 years and saving 1,500 per year in fuel and tax. So if I saw an EV for 7,500 with battery, it would basically be a free car. But with a battery lease replacing the fuel cost, that calculation falls apart.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Have you factored in quantitiesZ. The more there are, the lower the price. If the market isn't flooded then your bargaining power is limited. I have to say I do not believe an ex demo Zoe is quite the barge you are implying. It is a city car - with less range then the Fluence, and a if all things were equal, an ex fleet Zoe would need to be 5k maximum to be an equivalent to the benefits of a Fluence.

I cannot believe my luck in enjoying the bang I get for my buck - but a 9k Zoe - that's no bargain in my book.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Not sure what you mean by 'the barge you are implying'??

If the more there are the lower the price, and the battery lease doesn't appear to be price-related, why are 3 year old Leaf's still at 10k?

The Zoe should have a bigger range than the Fluence. Well, it would in my hands! The lighter mass and especially the heat pump heating, when required, should easily take the Fluence on range. Renault's mile/kWh rating appears to reflect that.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 03:40 AM
Super Moderator

Barge = bargain. (don't you just love auto-correction?). Are your 3-year old (Mark 1) Leafs selling at that price? I've not seen any, those price tags are aspirational. UNDER 9k, yes, I've seen them sell. Which is why the Zoe pricing s unremarkable.

As to range - well, it's a tiddler of a car, it should go further, but physically it smaller and irrespective of stated capacities, I go for real world usage, not brochure suggestions.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 05:54 AM
Eep

In fairness the cost of the Zoe - including the grant, including the usual price gouging generosity of Renault dealers - means you can get one new for 13K or even less, depending on how hard you wish to haggle. 9K for a year old example seems pretty good to me in percentage terms; compare a genuine depreciation monster like a Peugeot 807.

Though I do agree the battery contract bunk will punish residuals in an ongoing basis to the point that the car will at some point be had on finance for less than the battery!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page