Nouveau Kangoo Z.E. - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Nouveau Kangoo Z.E.

The updated Kangoo Z.E. has gone live on renault.fr

http://www.renault.fr/gamme-renault/...-ze/kangoo-ze/

Nothing we don't already know.

summary:

Facelift with Z.E. now slightly different looking than diesel van. Blue tinted rear windows and large blue tinted renault badge.
R-Link from Zoe and Clio.
Z.E. voice from Zoe

Real range of 50-80 miles. Unchanged from previous version.
3.5 kW charging unchanged from previous version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 06:47 PM

RE: Nouveau Kangoo Z.E.

I guess the lack of a fast charger is not considered to be a show-stopper for Kangoo as it would be targeted at businesses with local runs to do. Also reduces production costs = lower lease/purchase prices, which businesses would like.

If they don't bring out a fast charger on Fluence, though, then it's a dead concept as far as I can guess.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Chameleon rapid charger increases cost by less than 150.

By far the largest customer for Kangoo Z.E. is the French post office. I'd guess they didn't want it. For 5,000 vans it would have been an extra 750,000.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie
Chameleon rapid charger increases cost by less than 150.
Is this compared with the Zoe? I suspect that would be a 'bill-of-materials' difference in cost, rather than a re-design cost.

The problem may well be that the motor design has to be different (I am lead to believe they use the motor's inductance for charge filtering) and the Kangoo design will have to be redesigned to accommodate it.

There are different costs between starting from a white sheet, to modifying an existing design. I'm sure you know that, and I'm just emphasising it. Those costs need to be amortised across the units sold. At the current rate of sales, I'd not be surprised if a bill-of-materials change of E150 would be swamped by a E10,000 per-unit cost of designing and re-qualifying the product with those different parts.

If it were no more difficult that to swap out the charger, then [one would presume!?] it would be offered as an optional extra and/or after-market option.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Less than 150 is what Renault says it costs them to add Chameleon to Zoe. I'm guessing that is bill of materials + assembly line labor over what the 3.6kw integrated charger costs them.

Kangoo uses the correct type of motor for Chameleon. All 3 Z.E. vehicles use very similar drive system from Continental
Kangoo and Fluence use 5A Gen 1. Zoe uses 5A Gen 2. The main difference is the higher power charger.

95% or more of the design work is already done. 99% if they put the Zoe motor into Kangoo. They could always limit power to 44kW in software to preserve range.

Unlike Leaf version 1.0, the charger is integrated with the inverter electronics. There isn't a standalone box that can be swapped.

http://www.renault.com/en/innovation...trique-5a.aspx

http://www.continental-corporation.c...omotor_en.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page