Renault Notice: Some charging leads need replacing. - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Renault Notice: Some charging leads need replacing.

OK, so the story I have alluded to in the Fluence forum is that I have had some problems with my Renault supplied Type2/J1772 charging lead, and I would have to suspect you probably do too if you have a 2012 Fluence or Kangoo.

What I was finding was that the Type 2 plug was getting warm during charging at 15A, which is ridiculous as it should be good for 100A.

After a few weeks of investigations and data collection, I established that the thermal impedance of the crimp connection on the FCI sourced plug was too high. The pin temperatures were reaching 90C.

Renault have now issued a 'blue' notice (like the notice on the replacement of the brake pump ECU - not quite a recall) that leads may need to be checked.

If your Type 2 plug gets warm to the touch during charging, contact your dealer and look into having it replaced. The Type 2 plug should remain at ambient temperature during charging and should not get warm at all.

A 15A current through the plug's 6mm pins is a piddling current, and there should be no detectable self-heating present.

I asked customer services if it was worthwhile making this information public to the ZE owners I am aware of, and they said yes. So there it is. Go check your leads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 04:29 AM
Banned

RE: Renault Notice: Some charging leads need replacing.

Thanks, Donald. I haven't yet used my Renault-supplied J1772 lead but will watch out for problems when I do.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

I've used mine constantly and never had any issues - it may well be that the original lead (in the ZE bag) was already swapped out - but there's no way to tell.

I see Renault are now offering an official Zoe 13a charging brick for 220-240 household sockets.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

You wouldn't notice if you do, unless you check for it. If you don't check then the first time you have a problem could be your last with it!

Just get a hold of the Type 2 plug at the chargepoint after the car's been charging for an hour. It should be at ambient. Any warmth you feel on that plug means the pins are very hot. The plug simply should not gain any temperature increase at all.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Have done - all ambient, even after a full charge - so no issues here! Shame they didn't design in an LED in the plugs to let you find the car socket in the dark....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 06:26 PM

My blue cable get too hot (menekes conector) and begin fault so renau
T change it free. Blue too but 1m longer, necesary becouse fluence is so big.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

The replacement cables are black (shame) but the J1772 plug still has a blue latch. I've not been back to the dealer since the recall was announced, but as I don't have the crimp issue I'm happy to keep my cplour co-ordinated lead for as long as I can!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 06:28 AM

I've got the newer (black) cable now. I didn't need to do anything - Renault replaced it at their initiative, I think when I took the car in for a service or its first MoT. In practice, I didn't have any problems with the old blue cable.

Interesting what Antonio says about the length. I don't have a particular problem with the length of the Type 1 to Type 2 cable for charging points, but I wish the alternative cable for a normal domestic socket was a bit longer as you're much more likely to have to put this through a window or something to use a not very conveniently situated outlet.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page