Which charger? - Page 2 - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 01:17 PM
Banned

RE: Which charger?

lol. OK I'm a scaredy cat, but considering Renault haven't sold a combined 500 EV's in the last 2 years it appears I'm not the only one.

Nissan have sold 2,000 Leafs in almost the same time.

Just because I question the contract doesn't me I must be ridiculed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 01:42 PM

I don't think anyone's ridiculing you, GC, and by-and-large I also share your concerns which you've expressed many times in no uncertain terms. But, clearly, not everyone is as uncomfortable about it as you and so some may want to express contrary points as vehemently as you do yours.

In the ranking of things I worry about in life, ZE battery rental issues come waaaaay low! You could also look at the whole issue in a more favourable light - I'd say the odds that Renault will sell these batteries to owners in a few years time is better than 50/50, once they 'see the light' which you say they have not yet seen. By renting the battery while you make sure it's a 'good'un', and then paying half price for it once it is 3 yrs old (for example, if it happens to work out like that), you'll be quids in over having bought outright in the first place.

Renting the battery works for me at the moment very well. Even if I owned the car, rather than PCPing it, I'd still be very happy because I am not so confident as the bullish view that these batteries won't die after 5 years.

I think some folks may be in for a rude awakening over their lovely Leaf babies in a couple of years time, and if that were to be the case Renault's strategy would then be cast in a wholly different light, with Renault being shown to be prescient and working in the interests of their customers, while Nissan squanders its customer relations and abandons owners with dead batteries.... Just wait and see, but even that's not the point, the point is that it could still go either way and battery rental is the right way to simply and completely side-step making guesses about battery life. Yes, it is a confusion to folks at the moment, but they are confused on so many things. Just look at the politicians they vote for!!!
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Banned

Show me where I have said they "should see the light"? Amusing comment to make out I'm swimming against the flow. All my comments and arguments against have been valid. How long does one pay the lease for? When does it stop and how difficult will it be to convince a new owner. Hardly the insinuation you're giving of me.

I have said there are some good reasons to leasing but for them to offer the OPTION of buying outright too - as appears to be the case in the Czech Republic. Maybe Renault will give up and give the batteries at the end of the lease, but maybe they won't and you could potentially be stuck paying the lease or risk ruining your credit rating not paying it.

Leaf owners could indeed be stung, but with owners running up 45,000 miles with only 10% loss, it equates to about 100,000 miles before range reductions could occur. Again, that might be why EV sales are so low.

EV owners aren't a friendly lot overall though.

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyCabbie
Show me where I have said they "should see the light"?
It wasn't intended to be a verbatim quote, simply that you are right they should offer a buy-it-now option for the battery. That is to say, they should wake up to the reality that their fixed plan of renting batteries isn't helping sell cars right now.

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Eep

donald, any thoughts to offer on the charger - particularly as it was you who mentioned that yours was sucking the juice even on standby?
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 06:48 PM

Not really. None seem to be really living up to a standard you'd expect of a well-honed and polished service offering.

Chargemaster, in their favour, have delivered a good level of customer-focussed service which is a point that seems to be also reflected in other comments on chargers. I haven't seen a bad comment about CM service and electricians. So if you were to start on the basis that, overall, their charge stations are no better nor worse than others (and I cannot really comment as I only have the one which works, though it doesn't log data), then the customer service should swing in their favour.

It's not like there is a big choice right now. As far as I look at it, this is working now and if it stops working in the future out of warranty then as the wiring is there now it is not really going to cost much to buy a new (better?) unit in the future and have it fitted at minimal cost.
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

You need to spend some time in the Leaf Forum if you think I was trying to ridicule you - I simply pointed out that a fixed term contract cannot be 'open ended' nothing more. I've been left with 4k dead Vectrix battery and a range of 8 miles that scares the heck out of me and I don't want it to happen again.

Clearly, until Renault change their policy you won't be happy - fine, as you suggest other manufacturers do and the customer is king. I have no intention of finding myself in the same situation and see the lease as my insurance policy against this happening.

As Donald's says, in my book, this is way down my priority list - and I get a (questionable) care package to help me and recovery to a charger.

It floats my boat - but leaving emotions aside, I'd love to know hat happened after someone's battery lease expires. It wouldn't be the first time that nothing did!

On the Chargemaster charger issue - assuming you mean public, as opposed to home ones. I've reported a bust ASDA charger to them repeatedly since August (faulty display) and it is never fixed. Hardly attentive!
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Eep

I've spoken with Chargemaster who booked me in for a wall unit pretty sharply. I went for the Type 2 socketed unit, as from what you've said and what I've read elsewhere the Type 1 flylead isn't a long term solution.

The only question remaining is whether I want a 16A or 30A unit, and I'm undecided. It's a commuting car, and a second car, so I have no plans to use it much beyond mornings and evenings and in which case the 16A choice will be fine. The 16A is also free whereas the 30A is 95.

Hum.
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Banned

16A will be fine and fine for the present generation cars for an overnight charge.

Maybe as the batteries get bigger on next gen cars the 32A will be a minimum for overnight charging, but I guess if you're charging every night that issue will be irrelevant anyway.

I guess it's the extra quality cable that bumps the cost up?
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Why are you paying at all? The Up here (Scotland) the Energy Saving Trust are meeting 100% of the cost of 32a units - can you not access that level of funding down south?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page