Which charger? - Page 5 - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 05:55 AM

RE: Which charger?

I am getting slightly concerned about the feasibility of fitting a home charging unit in my garage.

I have booked a BG install and site survey, on the same day, in a couple of weeks.

My garage is separated from the house by about 20 feet. I have a separate 16 amp circuit into the garage with a 16A RCBO fitted into the fuse box in the house on the garage circuit.

I have read the installation instructions of a number of charging units (including BG) which state a 20A RCBO should be fitted. Does anyone know if this will mean at least a min of a 20 amp circuit or even a 32 amp circuit, or will a 16 amp circuit suffice?

I also get the impression that the charging unit has to be fitted on a separate circuit from the consumer unit and not the fuse box.

If anyone has any experiences of fitting a 16 amp charge unit from BG or anyone else I would appreciate any comments or issues you have had.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 06:11 AM

It sounds like you will need to have a new run of cable from your consumer box to the garage, yes. Chargemaster would be unlikely to charge for this extra effort, it is after all just more cable, but from what I have heard BG will be more than happy to charge you.

I suggest you clarify this detail with BG before they turn up. You may find that they can already clarify the additional charges. I would suggest you say to them that you expect a 20m additional cable run to come from the house to the garage.

You could buy yourself 25m of armoured 6mm cable and bury it where you want it to run, and leave the two ends for the electrician to wire up. But I'd have the conversations first, and if BG want to charge you more for the extra cable then ask CM to compete. It is a CM unit that BG will fit in any case.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 06:31 AM

Thanks for the info Donald. I will have to wait and see when BG arrive and hope that the circuit is OK. I have an issue with my Consumer unit in that it is maxed out with circuits and tiled into its location. I have contacted Chargemaster to see if they have any comments.

Maybe BG can run a totally new circuit from the electrical source and place a fuse box in the garage. Meanwhile I will be left with a 3 pin household source to charge.

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 07:28 AM

If it is maxed out on electrical points, they will likely fit a second consumer unit which is paralleled with the first. This'll give you more points for other stuff going forward too, so I'd not have a problem with that additional charge, though I have heard CM have even fitted those for no more.

If it is maxed out on supply current (usually 100A, but you could still be on a 60A main) then that is problematic.
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Can't comment on BG, I had SSE fit mine, and the plan to fit in the garage was vetoed - even though I had a spare 16a pair within the garages armoured cable - they just said no.

In the end it was fitted to the side of the house and a new cable provided AND a direct earth. The plus side was gat they made it 32a capable, the down - it isn't where I originally wanted it to be.
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 AM

Good news, Chargemaster have just completed the install of a brand new charging unit. Really pleased with the work that they have carried out. The unit is outside on a garden wall and is taken from a separate feed from the mains with its own RCBs. I cancelled the British Gas install based on some of the comments here and that Chargemaster seem more flexible on their costing, the only charge was 30 pounds for a garage board.

Interestingly the fitter gave me the choice of pinning the cable to a wall or just laying it on the ground. It is not armored cable but cable called Hi-Tuff, I believe this was referenced in another thread. I selected to have it pinned to my wall.

The bad news is Renault seem to be dragging their heels on the delivery of my Fluence. I only have this week to accept the delivery and it does not look promising that this will happen.

post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 08:18 AM

Why only a week to accept delivery? If it's because they are doing work on the car ask for a free hire car while they get their act together.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 09:23 AM

This is the last week that someone will be at home in the daytime to accept the delivery. All the paperwork has been done re battery lease. The car has had a service and recalls, it has taken 2 weeks for the delivery of the recall parts. The parts will not be fitted until next Monday.

With the car delivery they are also picking up my car as part exchange.

I am also wondering when the battery lease kicks in, I could be paying for a battery and have no car

post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Usually a month after you get it, the payment is in advance rental on paper, but the delay really makes it in arrears!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page