State of the battery - Renault Z.E. Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

State of the battery

Hi,

How can I check how many of the 22kWh that is still available ?

Thanks,
Walther (fluence)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 05:07 AM

RE: State of the battery

I would not suggest going down the road of getting a Zoe/Fluence compliant OBD reader for 2 reasons, they are costly and it will give misleading information about the % capacity which bears little resemblance to the max 22kw operating window, I have seen a 96% capacity equate to 18 1/2 kw at a 50k check.

I am assuming you do not have test equipment to get the exact operating window capacity.
So the simplest test is a static discharge, a driving discharge is not accurate as there are multiple loads, some are registered and some are not. This is deliberate on Renaults part to muddy the water when a customer is trying to determine any thing on the pack.
Proceed as follows.
Make sure pack is at least 1/2 an hour finished a final charge, zero the KWh odometer. Turn off everything including lights, radio & remove plug in devises like phone chargers.
Open all of the windows(no test if raining) in the car, start the car, put in park.
Turn the heating on and put the temperature to Hi, turn the fan speed to max, point vents out of windows & use the manual button to prevent the air con operating.
you should be able to see a draw between 3 & 5 kw on the instantaneous kw readout.
The discharge time is ambient temperature dependant, it could be 4 hours or 8 hours.
As you get closer to the bottom of the operating window you will need to be in the car to take note of the minutes taken between KWh accumulated.
This will be needed to calculate the final fraction of KWh.
For example if the last registered kw took 10 minutes to clock up then a run of 5 minutes to turn off will mean a 1/2 KWh to add to the accumulated odometer reading.
This test is purely for at this moment in time, as average ambient temperature will effect the capacity of the pack and also triggers a constraining or expansion of the operating window to prevent damage to the pack.
Bear in mind you are not flattening the pack as the pack is never allowed to go near empty.
This is good enough to give you an idea of what you are working with.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Excellent, thank you for the thorough reply !

I will try that soon. The seller told me I could see it on the dashboard, guess not.

I just bought a used Fluence 15.800km from Oct2012, and I have no idea of what state it is in. I was just a little surprised that the range after a full charge was 83km. So I was wondering if the battery was ok. It is 1-5 Celsius here now.

Thank you,
Walther
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 09:37 AM

Hi Walther

Your welcome.
I am making an educated guess the seller was at the dealership, If it was take with a pinch of salt anything they say.
Any error in statements they make is blamed on a lack of knowledge and I was told by a mysterious person in Renault.

I would be interested in what you get with such a low mileage.
Good luck.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyL
I would be interested in what you get with such a low mileage.
Me too
But a little afraid to try, do not wish to get stranded somewhere for 12h.

When I turn on the car after a full charge. The mileage it shows, is that based on the last 10,100 or 1000km ? Or does it use the average kWh/100km.

Presumably it has been run pretty rough as a test car at the dealer.

Thanks,
Walther
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walther
When I turn on the car after a full charge. The mileage it shows, is that based on the last 10,100 or 1000km ? Or does it use the average kWh/100km.
In my case the range got accurate after driving for around 300km.
Some people say its about 200km, some say it is after 2 full charges.

It uses an internal kWh/100km average window, not the one you can reset on the display.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:36 PM

Hi Walther
I am assuming from your 12 hours that you do not have a charge point yet.
The range quoted is based on the average consumption of the previous 200km against the SOC meter, this is averaged every 1km covered.
This means the car will very rapidly learn from your driving and driving environment to give a very accurate indication if you have a regular driving pattern.
You can catch it out real easy. If you do a long journey at say a steady 100k the predicted range will go up but then do a lot hard driving you will kill the predicted range very quickly and could be stranded.
In reality there is additional range below the red line but is ignored by the SOC meter.
You can check what range is below the red line (approx. 10%) in the following way.
After a full charge get into the car, do not put the key in the ignition, keep the drivers door wide open, select the estimated range with the stalk behind the steering wheel, let the stalk go free, press the brake pedal and keep it there, press and hold the upward button of the stalk behind the wheel as if you were trying to reset the estimated mileage, keep holding it, the estimated range will begin to flash, keep holding it until the figure changes. this will now show a range based on the operating window, this will eventually change back over a number of charges to the indicated SOC meter.
I would not do this other than for your own info, When the system drifts back to normal you know you have a buffer just in case.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Thank you guys,

Good to know mileage may improve, I will keep track the next 200km.
It is also clear I have a lot to learn about these electric cars, and I need an English manual besides the french one.

I hope it never gets old starting from zero and go bzzzzZZZZZZZZZ
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

I took it for a long drive yesterday, down to 13km left.

And now after a full charge it says 108km range at 4 Celsius.

Is that in the order of what you would expect ?

Thanks,
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 06:14 AM

That sounds about right if you had the climate control in eco.
Turning the air completely off and leaving a crack of a window open would gain another 10/15 km if you were stuck, but freezing my ***** would not be acceptable to me.
There are multiple of other suggestions on how to keep warm with various settings if you were so declined, but when traveling with a family in the vehicle you have to bite the bullet and heat the car.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page