Renault Z.E. Forum

Renault Z.E. Forum (https://www.renaultzeforum.com/forums/)
-   Fluence Z.E. Owners' Garage (https://www.renaultzeforum.com/forums/13-fluence-z-e-owners-garage/)
-   -   Fluence in the Czech Republic (https://www.renaultzeforum.com/forums/13-fluence-z-e-owners-garage/318-fluence-czech-republic.html)

donald 02-17-2014 07:34 AM

RE: Fluence in the Czech Republic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramon
Both are interested in the possibility of mounting chameleon charger. Do you have some information about it?

Do you have family nearby?

Up Jeseniky.

'Fraid there is no retrofit for faster charging, as far as we know, you are stuck at 15.2 Amps charging rate. The SM3 (copy of Fluence) being built in S Korea is due to get a Chameleon charger, so it might not be impossible when these parts become available, but most likely 'no'.

GrumpyCabbie 02-17-2014 07:42 AM

But this 'fabulous' chameleon charger doesn't allow charging from a UK home socket, only a dedicated charger.

That is no good in these early days of EV adoption. If your wall socket breaks you are left with a very large paper weight. If you visit family 75 miles away, you have no way of getting home.

ramon 02-17-2014 08:30 AM

To Ramon, do you have solar PV on your property? Just curious.
[/quote]

I have a solar PV only for testing purposes, testing if they it make sense in our area. [hr]
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyCabbie
But this 'fabulous' chameleon charger doesn't allow charging from a UK home socket, only a dedicated charger.

That is no good in these early days of EV adoption. If your wall socket breaks you are left with a very large paper weight. If you visit family 75 miles away, you have no way of getting home.

I did not know, I thought that the chameleon allows charging of 3.6 kW too.
I have built a 3.6 KW charging cable from the kit here. Works perfectly.
OpenEVSE

GrumpyCabbie 02-17-2014 10:04 AM

But that's still too much for the UK legacy plug sockets from the 1950's. They're rated at 13amp but really only offer 10amp which at 220volts is what, about 2.2kw?

My understanding is that this is below the rates of the chameleon charger.

The Fluence comes with a UK plug lead but the Zoe which has the chameleon charger doesn't.

Re: Solar PV

I'd be curious why solar doesn't make sense for you as you are quite sunny compared to the UK and solar PV is just about viable here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_p...United_Kingdom

donald 02-17-2014 12:43 PM

The EU plug will be struggling at 16A continuous too. This really requires 6 mm^2 cable direct from the service mains electricity, and preferably <5 m from the main electricity box. The interconnections will suffer the 16 Amps too.[hr]
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyCabbie
I'd be curious why solar doesn't make sense for you as you are quite sunny compared to the UK and solar PV is just about viable here.

Solar still doesn't make sense here, unless you have tax/money incentives.

Eep 02-17-2014 12:46 PM

Forgive my ignorance here - what exactly are the options for charging a Fluence at home? And if you need a home charger, from whom can you buy it? Are there any grants still?

I'm guessing that British Gas are as lousy at that job as any other, and so it's best to go to someone else.

donald 02-17-2014 02:08 PM

A 3.5 kW charging station, or the 2.2kW 3-pin plug-in 'brick' lead.

The charging station can have a'flying lead' or a socked that you plug a lead into.

You can option a 6.6kW charging station for 'futureproofing', as I have done, but the Fluence can't draw that much from it.

Check the OLEV site for a full run-down of who is authorised to supply under the grant.

Some have gone out of business already, though.

Eep 02-17-2014 05:20 PM

Thanks. Though I'm still mystified by all the connector types. The POD point page below:

http://www.pod-point.com/free-home-charge-unit/

seems to cover all cars with the noted exception of the Fluence, but I may just be reading that wrong.

Is the Renault a "Type 1" and thus presumably any domestic charger a Fluence owner would buy has to be Type 1 -> whatever connector is on the charger. And if so, what about charging on public chargers? Is there a standard? It's frustratingly not clear.

Looking at the Schneider site for info about their EV Link residential product:

http://www.schneider-electric.co.uk/...al-garage.page

This says it is Type 3. Assuming the Fluence is a Type 1, there is no Type 3 to Type 1 cable listed on that site; in addition, the literature seems to use e.g. 'Mode 3' and 'Type 3' interchangeably with no explanation as to whether they are indeed the same thing.

Again, you can see why people just give up.

donald 02-17-2014 05:35 PM

The Fluence and Kangoo will not take the 6.6kW charge, but a 6.6kW charge station is interoperable with a 3.3kW car. So, I have the higher power charger and, of course, it is fine with the Fluence but I had it fitted for *the next* EV I have which will have faster charging.

It is better to talk about the leads and plugs, really. The socket on the car is a male J1772. This is referred to as 'Type 1'. It doesn't really refer to a power level because the J1772 is capable to 80A (at least, in the US it is used up to that current). The 'Type 2' connector is referred to as a 'Mennekes' IEC 62196. This will also handle 80A, but will do so in each phase so can run 3x that. (Actually it is derated on current for 3 phase so the plug doesn't get too hot, but just ignore that detail for the moment.)

Each plug can operate at different charge rates. So you have 'Type' for plug type and 'Mode' for speed of charging. Fluence and Kangoo use J1772 (Type 1). Zoe uses IEC62196 (Type 2).

"Mode 1" - slow charging from a household-type socket-outlet
"Mode 2" - slow charging from a household-type socket-outlet with an in-cable protection device
"Mode 3" - slow or fast charging using a specific EV socket-outlet with control and protection function installed
"Mode 4" - fast charging using an external charger

J1772 is single phase only. IEC62196 is interoperable with single or three phase charging. It is the 3-phase charging that gives the super fast charging speeds, as you effectively have 3x the charging of the single phase.

So the Fluence is a 'Type 1, Mode 3' charger. You would buy either a Type 1 flying lead charger, or a Type 2 socket, if you were to buy a socketed charging station. If you went for the second option, you would then use the Type 1 to Type 2 lead (which is supplied with the car) to connect it.

The type 3 is an EU/French spec (again, single or 3-phase) that will die before you ever get to see one in your lifetime. Forget about it. Everything is moving to IEC62196.

There is plenty written up on this. Just keep reading and it'll all make sense. It isn't rocket science.

GrumpyCabbie 02-17-2014 05:42 PM

This sort of helps confirm which chargers the Fluence can use

http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-...edium-chargers