Renault Z.E. Forum

Renault Z.E. Forum (https://www.renaultzeforum.com/forums/)
-   EV Chargers and Charging (https://www.renaultzeforum.com/forums/20-ev-chargers-charging/)
-   -   Which charger? (https://www.renaultzeforum.com/forums/20-ev-chargers-charging/319-charger.html)

Eep 02-18-2014 04:45 AM

Which charger?

Looks like I might be swelling the ranks of owners here having secured a good deal on a Fluence. I'm still in two minds about it, but given the cost and overall low level of risk involved I'm almost certainly going to sign that battery lease (what convinced me: the cost of the car plus the cost of the battery over a three year agreement is still significantly less than any rival, period).

Unsurprisingly I don't have a wall charger at home. I've looked through the threads here but don't know which units I should avoid and what I should be looking for in the first place. I should avoid the useless crooks at British Gas, but then everyone knows that already.

Of the few recommendations made, almost all seem to be with companies that are no longer in business, and as with almost all things EV right now, for a newcomer that's a) weird and b) typical.

So then:
  • What do I need to look for in a charger? Are there grades in terms of what they do, what they report and so on?
  • Are there brands I should avoid, installers I should steer clear of?
  • How do I avoid problems like the one donald encountered, where the charger gobbles power when it's not in use?

As usual, my thanks in advance.

GrumpyCabbie 02-18-2014 04:53 AM

RE: Which charger?

Have a word with these guys;

http://zerocarbonworld.org/

Might be cheaper to buy their socket and have it installed by an electrician for a couple hundred quid, than get BG in. I understand the Government sockets have to be able to communicate with base so they know how much electricity you're using. To me that would be a complete no no from the start.

(the old argument of why worry if you have nothing to hide doesn't wash. If there was no worry, why do they want the info in the first place)

Eep 02-18-2014 06:20 AM

My only problem with outfits such as Zero Carbon World is that their web site hasn't been updated for four months or more and hence I wonder if they're in the process of going the way of so many others.

GrumpyCabbie 02-18-2014 06:56 AM

I wasn't recommending them, just offering their name.

Can you local electrical factors not help? All you need is a suitable socket and get it wired in adequately.

So when do you get your new motor? You buying outright or getting it on a PCP? I'm still so wary of the battery lease and when I see the price of a Fluence I don't want heart overtaking brain.

Eep 02-18-2014 09:02 AM

I'm looking for recommendations as the names I either know or can Google.

Not sure about the car yet. May purchase outright to avoid the faff or may go the PCP route as the deal is encouraging in terms of monthly outgoing. The odd thing is that they refer to the agreement's "GFV" yet there is nothing guaranteed about it. It is merely an offset payment and thus there is little to be gained in having a huge "GFV" if you know the car will actually be worth tuppence therefore leaving you upside down on the whole arrangement.

GrumpyCabbie 02-18-2014 09:42 AM

I've always liked the Fluence ever since I test drove one of the first lhd demo models years ago. Recently seeing the pictures from that Czech members car whetted my appetite again, but it's just that lease that niggles me. I never like open ended contracts and I always hate selling cars on as it's always hassle - African Princes wanting your bank details for lottery winnings, magazines trying to sell advertising, crooks with bouncing bank drafts etc etc, but then on top of that you have the lease issues. Hmmm. Or trade it in at a Renault dealer who'll know you're desperate and thus s***t you good and proper.

Nice car today. Potentially lots of problems in 3 years time when you come to sell and a contract that has to be paid for as long as you own the car. Hmmmmm

Thinking on from this. Do you remember about a decade ago you had to pay the scrap yard to take your old scrapper away? Could it come to the point in 5 years time that you can't even give the Fluence away due to the lease? I know some on here have mentioned that they work on the car being worth nothing at the end of 4 or 5 years and anything more is a bonus. What if you can't get rid of them, even trying to give it away because nobody wants a lease. Will it get to that?

Buzby 02-18-2014 10:04 AM

Get them while they're hot!

Having just signed my Fluence a Battery lease, I wonder why you suggest the lease is 'open ended'? Mine certainly isn't - it is a fixed term commitment with a defined end date for the final payment. Any extension needs to be agreed by both parties.

Further my chat with RCI revealed that should the battery become a sellable item, leaseholders would be invited to do so.

Buzby 02-18-2014 01:14 PM

If you like the Wallpod (Rolec) CEF (wholesalers) have them on promotion. You select whether you want a Tethered T2 lead or a T2 socket, and you simply use the standard t2 to J1772 lead you get with the car. Price depends on options, but the basic ones were selling for 54 plus VAT.

GrumpyCabbie 02-18-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzby
Get them while they're hot!

Having just signed my Fluence a Battery lease, I wonder why you suggest the lease is 'open ended'? Mine certainly isn't - it is a fixed term commitment with a defined end date for the final payment. Any extension needs to be agreed by both parties.

Further my chat with RCI revealed that should the battery become a sellable item, leaseholders would be invited to do so.

OK, open ended for as long as you own the car. Sure it's renewed on 12-36 month basis but you have to keep renewing it whilst running the car. That's open ended to me. Stop paying lease and you have a car with no battery. Not much use.

Buzby 02-20-2014 11:35 AM

Not even that - as it remans a finite term regardless. You can also let the fixed term expire and it is up to RCI reclaim it at their expense - of which I have never heard of being done. You do not seem comfortable with the thought that the lease system may well change - true, it may not, but it remains an option for the future.

If you're of a pessimistic nature by all means see doom and gloom at every turn, but statements of 'open ended' contracts are false and need to be discounted as for all we know 3rd Party packs (not sourced from RCI, possibly 'ex RCI' as an after- market option is also possible.

I'm settling for a 3yr/6k agreement and in 2017 I'll look at my options again.